Reflections on a Watery World: Tony de los Reyes and Sameer Pandya
Inspired by the site-specific installation by Los Angeles-based artist April Street, The Mariners' Grand Staircase (Armoured Stars, Flying Clouds), currently installed in the Museum's Park Lobby, this conversation between artist Tony de los Reyes and writer Sameer Pandya explores the symbolic potential of the sea. As Herman Melville wrote, why did some "...hold the sea holy?" Why, like Narcissus, do we see ourselves in rivers and oceans? Why, with its associations of unpredictability, infinity, the beginnings of life, turbulent passions, unfettered freedom, purification, solitude and rebellion, does water seduce us, console us, and alarm us?
Image: Tony de los Reyes, “1851 (#3),” 2011. Ink and oil on linen. SBMA, Museum Purchase.
Cost: $5 Museum Members
$6 Senior Non-Members
Phone: (805) 963-4364
Event url: www.sbma.net/events/parallelreyes
1130 State St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
More Event Ideas
- More Education Events
- Thursday, Apr 18, 8:00 PM
- Who Killed Reality? An Exploration of Nihilism in Four Amerian Films at OPUS Archives and Research Center at Pacifica Graduate InstituteSunday, Mar 24, 5:30 PM
- Monday, Apr 8, 6:30 PM
- More Events at Santa Barbara Museum of Art
- Saturday, May 18, 9:00 AM
- Thursday, Apr 18, 5:30 PM
- Thursday, Apr 25, 4:30 PM
What can we do for you?
Thank you for your input. Please fill out the form below and provide as much information as possible about updates to this event or venue.